We have been using iPad tills in our emporiums for a couple of years now and that makes us a fairly early adopter of the technology. So what have been some of the lessons learn’t so far:
– You need a good Internet connection, despite the vendors saying they work off-line our experience is they don’t.
– It saves you loads of space (although the cash draw is still huge)
– The ability to look at the sales figures in real-time from anywhere with an Internet connection is great
– Training staff on new till systems is hard work and takes time
– The software available on iPad tills compared to a full traditional electronic till system is quite limited (but changing fast), so be prepared to compromise on features
– The iPad software is a lot cheaper than the traditional till systems on a monthly basis but the upfront costs are quite high (i.e. buying iPads)
– You need to secure the iPad so they are not dropped or stolen